Archivio tag: italy

The hidden gardens of Venice

Malipiero GardensIn the hidden gardens of Venice are authentic green masterpieces :  palm, boxwood, creeper,oak, fruit trees along with flowers from distant lands with different cuts, mazes and effects of “Oriental rug” who create real works of art. In addition to the “necessary” gardens ,here, arose along the centuries the ornamental gardens as the Byzantines one ,with their central well or French gardens of the year 1700.

One time Venice was surrounded by green fields destined for cultivation or grazing of animals (hence the origin of the name “campo”,meaning field), but over the centuries, these areas have been covered by sheets of trachyte used for flooring the city’s green space, reducing it to 120 thousand square meters.

But behind the facades of the palaces in the courtyards of the monasteries there are still some small vineyards,greenhouses, hidden nooks, scattered throughout the city. In Venice there are (still) more than five hundred gardens.
Have different origins: those that are part of ancient monasteries, those who belonged to the aristocratic homes or those for agricultural use, and each has its own peculiarities. Some of them have been developed vertically,and you can see it from the outside walls only if “you go with the head up”. Some of them are open only during special events; in others you can emerge freely.

venice ,biennale  gardensIn the past were well known the gardens of Erizzo in San Canciano, the Zilioli and Coupons ,Sant’Angelo; Michieli ,of San Gervasio and Protasio;Testa ,of Cannaregio. At Giudecca is reminiscent of Dandolo, the Gritti, the Vendramin and Loredan, while those of Murano propriety of Morosini ,  Corner and Navagero  .

The seventeenth-century garden of Palazzo Soranzo Cappello,situated at a short walk from the train station,with the entrance that overlooks the Rio Marin,  seemingly abandoned. But on closer inspection we realize that the garden is well cared . Inside there are trees but also low vegetation. The outdoor courtyard, bounded by two walls, and with the central route paved, gives you the idea of ​​ “room” outside the Palace. Near the wall there are screws mixed with jasmine. Along the enchanted paths there are peach, almond, the plum trees, cherry trees, medlars, apricots, strawberries. Inside the courtyard,grow two persimmon trees .                                                                                                              It was decided to leave the vegetation arose spontaneously, to preserve the appearance of the garden, almost abandoned, suggested by literary environments of Gabriele D’Annunzio and Henry James.

Important and extraordinary is the Garden of the Fondazione Querini Stampalia (Stampalia is the name of the Greek island that was a stronghold of the family until the early sixteenth century),situated in Campo Santa Maria Formosa, created and designed by the architect Carlo Scarpa.
palace's  soranzo-cappello gardens This time the main element is the water, which, by the channel on which faces the building, enter through bulkheads, run along the interior walls,and ends in a large tub in the garden at multiple levels of copper, cement and mosaic and in a small channel to the ends of which there are two mazes of alabaster and stone .Carlo Scarpa has transformed the typical Venetian courtyard reinterpreting Arabs and Japanese models. At the center of a geometric turf is a cherry tree, a magnolia and a pomegranate.Pathes of vines and bushes , decor plant, accompany an ancient well-head, a Gothic lion and two fountains.

The garden of the Palazzo Giustiniani-Brandolini (Venetian residence of Marie Brandolini d’Addala overlooking the Grand Canal). Created by the owners at the end of the nineteenth century, is hidden against the curiosity of the tourists with an artificial thicket of laurel and yew. The boxwood draws a magic design on the background, and the facade of the building is completely covered by a wisteria centennial. This grove was one of the largest among those of Venice.
vendramin-carlengi    the casino gardenOn the right side of the Palazzo Vendramin Carlengi , (called white wing),there a decent garden, also accessible from the canal through a gate whose pillars are topped by two large statues. On the back of the building is a small courtyard, enclosed on one side by a wall, from which, in addition to an elegant entrance is a plaque that commemorates the Wagner’s death “within the walls of the palace.”

The lovely rose garden of Palazzo Cappello Malipiero Barnabò , unfortunately, is granted to the gaze only beyond the balustrade in Istrian stone overlooking the Grand Canal . At the
scene of the garden, from the end of 800, contributes significantly the statuary, with the most representative: the fountain with Nymphaeum of Hercules, and the great Neptune inserted into the opposite part of the garden. The use of boxwood,with its dark and intense color tones and the skilled pruning, accentuates the theatrality. In the garden, the great   malinpiero palace - wellhead
well,with the weapon of Malipiero,is testimony of the union of families Cappello and Malipiero , which are depicted on the bas-reliefs : the couple, Caterino and Elizabeth.

Ca ‘Zenobius, Dorsoduro – (Fondamenta del Soccorso 2596). Behind the nineteenth century Venetian Baroque palace was transformed into a romantic garden, with paths, bridges, hills. Today, the complex belongs to the Armenian Congregation Mekhitarist and can be visited only during cultural events and receptions.

The garden of “Cà Morosini del giardin”  retains the typically Venetian features ,with a garden that blends with the vegetable garden, among flowers and fruit trees. The vegetation varies from ; passion flower and  hydrangeas to roses, irises, petunias, snapdragons, mimosas, dahlias, palm trees, apricots, figs,   persimmons,  pomegranates, olives and cypresses. It is located in Cannaregio,( Calle Valmarana , 4629), and is run by the Dominican Sisters.

Even the palace of Ca ‘Rezzonico, which is just a few minutes away from Campo Santa Margherita, now home to the Museum of Eighteenth Century welcomes us with an amazing garden with wellhead ,boxwood with pergola covered with wisteria  .

ca bemboThat of Contarini Dal Zaffo is one of the most famous Renaissance garden of Venice, frequented by artists and writers who gathered at the Casino of the Spirits. His fascination shots the poet Gabriele D’Annunzio who dedicated it some pages. It is reflected on the waters of the north lagoon, and is located in Cannaregio, (Fondamenta Gasparo Contarini). Casino of the Spirits (Fondamenta della Misericordia) and the Island of  St .  Michael, not far into the lagoon  are part of the Palace complex.


On the islands the men of faith  surrounded the buildings by greenery:

St. Erasmus island, the largest island of Venice, for centuries has maintained its agriculture with the cultivation
of asparagus lettuce, artichokes, cardoons, the jujube, and vineyards.

On the island of San Giorgio Maggiore, a plot of 3000 boxwood plants reproducing the venezia Labirinto Borges  Fondazione Cininame of the Argentine Jorge Luis Borges, one of the most important and influential writers of the twentieth century, as in an open book. It is a maze designed in the ’80s by Jorge Luis Borges in the courtyard of the Cini Foundation. In addition to the boxwoods are the flower beds with the botanical species of lilies, roses and camellias that inspired the legendary fabrics designed in the beginning of 1900 by Mariano Fortuny y Madrano, in the  the textile factory of Giudecca.


In the spaces of convents and churches, next to the flowers like lilies and roses are: the palm, the fig, olive trees,small vineyards, and the purple clover.
On the island of Giudecca, the Capuchin friars grow olive trees and vines, fruit trees such as apples, peaches, figs, vegetables and herbs once used in the pharmacy. A grove of elms, cypress and oak trees characterizes the near twentieth century garden overlooking the lagoon.


At Redentore, you’ll discover a balance more austere in the garden with the vegetable garden, strolling around the kiwi vines, roses and herbs . You can also visit the back of the Church of the Redentore looks like a mosque with two minarets, the library, the refectory and the two cloisters.

 papadopoli  gardensIn the beautiful gardens Bauer Palladio ( Giudecca island), the former gardens of the friars of the sixteenth century,there is an particular Annabelle hydrangea with white flowers, roses and hibiscus and the oldest magnolia in Venice.

Ca’ Zenobius on the Giudecca, is also home to the garden of a vibrant Swiss lady ,proceeds from the land of an old furnace. Here you can admire 600 square meters with many varieties of daffodils, old roses and clematis,
The parks and gardens open to the public in Venice are: Pinewood St. Helena, Napoleon Gardens, the Gardens Groggia, the Papadopoli Gardens, the Royal Gardens and Savorgnan Gardens.

Some public parks still in existence, dating back to the twentieth century, as the Papadopoli Gardens, which open their doors to visitors who arrive from Piazzale Roma. Once covered an area of 12 thousand square meters had a collection of exotic plants that evoked wonder and awe in travelers.Among the enchanting plants are: tall stem, fruit trees and mulberries.

The Royal Gardens are located south of the Piazza San Marco. Were built after the  biennale gardensdemolition of public granaries , and the prison where  were locked up the Genovese prisoner, taken during the war of Chioggia.
The buildings with the public granaries are visible on the 1500 plant of Jacopo de Barbari ,
called also “Barns of Newfoundland” because they were built on top of the backfill ground , or ” new earth “. In the Napoleonic era the public granaries were  demolished to make way to the current Royal Gardens that nowdays are also called ex Royal Gardens.

The peculiarity of the Austrian period are pergolas covered with climbing plants. The species present are the pagoda trees , locust trees , laurels and beeches , pittosporums , eleagni , oleanders, eponyms , screw of Canada , wisteria and ivy .
Savorgnan Park , (now the Institute for Tourism Algarotti ) is located in the foundations of Cannaregio , a few steps from the Bridge of the Spires and Palazzo Labia (home of Rai Veneto ) and is one of the few public gardens of Venice .
Born as a botanical garden , was part of the Palace Savorgnans , and becomes one of the most spacious gardens of the city with an area of ​​nearly 10,000 square meters of trees and chestnut trees .

The French Royal Gardens were built, by the new viceroy of Italy Eugenio Beauharnais, linked with the new Public Gardens ,Castello, (known as Napoleon garden).
The green area, commonly known as the Castello Gardens, were built in 1807 by Napoleonic decree in an area occupied by ancient religious complex. After the demolition of the buildings, the resulting materials were used to build a small hill on which was erected a coffee bar, now transformed into the Pavilion of the Biennale. The species of trees in the garden are more than a hundred: linden, hackberry, sycamore trees, privet, laurel, pittosporums, eponyms rare and exotic plants.
orto dei conventi giudeccaGroggia gardens
These quadrangular gardens are a Sant’Alvise (Cannaregio), and are designed as romantic gardens,of nineteenth-century . Are characterized by the presence of numerous stone elements,designed by the family Groggia. Unfortunately nowadays are much neglected and little used .

After the fall of the Venetian Republic, with the arrival of the Austrians many gardens were destroyed. The high taxes imposed on the property forced many (noble) families to give up their green space to avoid to pay so many taxes.

Visits in the secret gardens of Venice:

Restaurants with Gardens

In a city apparently made ​of stone only , we are struck by the scent of jasmine or roses or wisteria , of its secret gardens.


other items:

visit my website

On facebook :

By :




The festival of San Marco,and the legends

italy basilica san marcoThe festival of San Marco takes place on April 25, the date of the death of St. Mark, but on the time of the Republic of Venice were also dedicated to St Mark January 31, in remember the translation of the relics in Venice,and June 25, the date of the discovery of the relics in 1094, the place where was been hidden (according to legend, in  pillar).

The Basilica of San Marco, one of the most visited and admired monuments in the world, occupies a privileged place in the heart of Venice because ,in addition to honoring the saint patron , every detail is decorated with sculptures and works of art gained as booty in historic victories of the Republic.

The Life of Saint Mark the Evangelist can be read in the Acts of the Apostles, but his death and the theft of the remains are wrapped in mystery. Disciple of the Apostle Paul, follow Paul and Barnabas (his cousin), in Antioch and also the transfer of the body of San Marco in Venicewanted to accompany them to the return.He follow them even in the journey to Cyprus, but when they had to cross a swampy and inhospitable region of the mountains of Taurus, Mark (also called John by Jews), give up and goes back to Jerusalem.Then follow Paul to Rome where he remained in the service of Peter.

During this period Mark wrote down the Gospel narrate by Peter, and become a disciple of him. He was invited by Peter to  evangelize the northern part of Italy. Arrived to Aquileia, the capital the Venetia et Histria region, he met here a citizen named Ermagora and converting him to Christianity, consecrating him bishop of the city. Thus start the evangelization of the whole area.

Direct to Alexandria in order to convert the heathen of the Egypt, on a dark stormy night, the ship was boarded to seek shelter in one of the few fishermen’s huts on the island “called Rialto” . After a frugal dinner with the fishermen ,the saint ,leaned down, and fell asleep. In his dream an angel appeared in the form of a winged lion, who addressed him thus: “On this island, Mark,in a wonderful day, a great city will rise and in this city your ultimate rest will find peace .“Pax tibi, Marce, Evangelista meus.Hic requiescet corpus tuum. “(Peace to you, Mark, my evangelist. Here your body will rest)”. Mark woke up in the morning and told his dream to the fishermen, before setting sail for the Egypt ,where he died.

The relics were kept in the church erected at Canopus, (the second greek port in the muslim guardsEgypt before Alexandria). They were transferred in Venice in the year 828 by two legendary Venetian merchants: Buono from Malamocco and Rustico from Torcello. The route from Alexandria was full of ups and downs, from the need to hide the remains of the saint under a load of vegetables and pork, “because Muslims would not have dared to inspect a similar load”.

Before arriving in Venice at the Calabrian cites ,at Cropani area, the boat arrived in the middle of a storm.The relics were saved thanks to the intervention of the Cropane’s sailors. For this reason, a piece of the remains of the saint, the patella ,is in the church of Santa Lucia in Cropani, as a symbol of gratitude for the help.

The saint’s relics are now preserved on the altar of the basilica of Saint Mark in Venice . The prestige given by the remains of St. Mark in Venice made possible the greatly increase of Venice’s power and independencethe basket with the spoils of the saint







Similar article:

other items:




April 25, the feast of liberation, the feast of St. Mark and legends

april 25April 25, the feast of liberation, the feast of St. Mark and legends. On April 25, we celebrate the Feast of the liberation of Italy from the occupation by the German army and the fascist government (1945).Men and women of all ages are dead then to grant us the democratic rights of which we enjoy today. Every year in various Italian cities are organized deposition of laurel wreaths at the monument to the fallen, marches and demonstrations to celebrate ,and remember the liberation.

April 25 on a warm spring weather ,in Venice, are organized , from flag-raising ceremony at the “Path of Remembrance”, from the “bòcolo” of love until the military parade in Piazza San Marco, concerts, puppet shows, children’s playground laboratories, trash art, pizzas, lunches and dinners, beers and excellent selection of wines.
About 1200 Venetian participate in the construction of a giant human rose that will decorate St. Marco square.The participants will arrive wearing clothes of red color (which will create the flower), green (stem and leaves.) From the top of the bell tower ,the images taken , will make a highly dramatic effect.

According to one legend, the tradition of the rose “bocolo” evokes an unexpected love between two young people from two enemy families.
A rose , who was born near the tomb of St. Mark, would be donated to a sailor of Giudecca island ,by the name Basil as a reward for his cooperation in stealing the remains of the saint from Alexandria,Egypt. Planted in the garden of his house, the rose became the boundary of the property divided among his sons, after the death of Basil .The time and the nature of human being ,divided into two opposite branches of the Basil family .
Following the breakdown of harmony between the two branches, the plant stopped flowering.
Many years later (an April 25) a love at the first sight was born between a girl from one of the two branches  and a young man from the other branch of the family. The two young people fell in love looking through the rose ground who separated the two gardens.The rose miraculously began to flourish again and the guy take a bushing and gave it to the girl.

In memory of this love, which would restore peace between the two families, the Venetians still offering the red rose bloom “bocoli”to their beloved: girlfriends, wives and mothers.

Due to this tradition ,the feast of St. Mark is also called the Feast of the Blooming Rose (from rosebud)

At the celebration are associated with this some popular legends.
The February 1340, Venice was hit by a terrible storm. The sky remained covered with
the storm clouds, dark as night even though it was the dawn of the day.The intensity of the storm was so strong that threatened seriously the city. To the three at the afternoon the storm suddenly ceased and the waters returned calm .
From this curious meteorological event was born the legend called the fisherman’s ring.

The final episode is depicted in a painting of the sixteenth-century painter Paris Borden, secure in the galleries of the Academy.

(Nobody knows if this story is linked to the Pope’s ring,that it is called “ring of the fisherman,” too,because St. Peter was a fisherman and Jesus made him become a fisher of men.)

the three gentlemens - St Mark mosaicThe story begins on the “Deck of straw” (or below), ahead of the Bridge of Sighs, where the corpses of the drowning people were displayed, to be recognized by the familiars or friends. An humble fisherman, shelter from the storm under the bridge, suddenly saw a man on the bank of the canal leading to the bridge.With a calm tone, but authoritative ordered him to take him to the island of St. George, in front of Piazza San Marco. Spite of the rain and bad weather fisherman accept it, (it was good practice to obey the orders of noblemen if you did not want to go into trouble ). Once they reached on the other side on board ,get, a tall sword-wielding warrior .He turned to the fisherman with the quiet but firm tone ordering him to go to the Lido to the shore of the church of St.Nicholas. The fisherman look at both of them and think, at least i’m not too tired, and if i oar a bit will pass the cold. He could not say no even if he want to say that.
When they reached their destination, a third man, with a religious appearance of a bishop dressed in ceremonial robes, climb aboard, and gave an authoritative command to go to offshore.

But just after they veered towards the sea, a short distance from the entrance of the harbor,  a terrifying vision appear.

A large ship with black sails, full of demons, was preparing for the assault on the city.The Paris Borden- the sailor gives the ring to the dogethree passengers stared at the horrible scene and made the sign of the cross for three times. Immediately after they saw the cursed ship sink between the terrible screams, while the wind and the rain ceased and the sea calmed.The three passengers ordered the fisherman to come back and let every one of them where they had boarded.

At the “Bridge of the straw”, the last passenger give a final order of the scared fisherman : Now go to your prince and you tell truthfully what you saw today. At his doubt that someone will believe him the gentleman handed him a ring and said: Give it to your doge, and ahead of him and his court will say that we have liberated the city from the flood,which was the work of Devil .The person we met at St. Nicholas was right Nicholas the saint, like the one that had boarded to St. George was George the saint, and that I ,who give you this ring ,i am St. Mark the Evangelist, the master of your city.
So saying, he blessed him and he goes. The fisherman went to the Doge’s Palace. No one stopped him when he went in the right direction boardroom, even if he had never been in those place.No one stopped him when he began to speak ahead of the Doge, and the senators, telling his incredible story. San Marco-the treasure
When the fisherman open his hand to confirm what he said, everyone saw the ring that all knew ,and that for centuries sought, the ring belongs at San Marco.
The ring is still preserved in the treasury of the Basilica of San Marco.
As a reward granted to the fisherman, the Doge gave him and his family the exclusive privilege to extract and sell  to his advantage the sand of the beach of Saint Erasmus island where he lived. From the family of fisherman originated the middle ages “sand sellers” of the Grade city.

from Encyclopedia of Fairy Tale.

other items:


By :


Have you ever wondered how much can be for you a good monthly income? What will you do with this extra income? Are you interested to have more free time for yourself, and to be together with your family?   Read more …….




The House of Three Eyes

The House of Three Eyes


The House of the Three EyesThe House of Three Eyes,at Giudecca,Venice, is a building of the twentieth century, a splendid testimony of the Venetian architecture, the result of different architectural trends, from traditional Venetian warehouse to the avant-garde trend of the twentieth century.The House of Three Eyes
was designed and built by the Italian artist Mario De Maria,(Marius Pictor, Bologna, 1852 – Venice, 1924),which between 1912 and 1924 made here his new Venetian home. (Here’s a wonderful Venetian moonlight painting by de Maria that hangs in the Musée d’Orsay.)

The building has three floors, but stressed the importance of the main floor, with three huge (oci, Venetian for the eyes), large lancet windows overlooking the Giudecca Canal and the basin of San Marco.All the palace look like the little replica of the Doge’s Palace that stares right in front of it.palazzo ducale
On the second floor,on the central part,must be noted the presence of a double lancet window ,framed by neo-Gothic decorations.The House of Three Eyes, was declared in 2007 by the Regional Directorate for Cultural Heritage and Landscape of the Veneto: “well of historical and artistic interest.”
Between the 1970 and 1980, the The House of Three Eyes, becomes a real Venice,Giudecca ,The House of the Three Eyeshouse of culture, a place of artistic production and the “upper room” of meetings and discussions, study for artists participating at the Biennale and hospitable space for intellectuals passing through Venice.
The House of Three Eyes is linked to many famous Italian and international, people. Here lived many characters related to the art world, from Victor Grubicy to Hundertwasser, from the daughter of Peggy Guggenheim to Sciltian,from Morandi to Fontana and Dario Fo or the architect Renzo Piano.
In 1970 Enrico Maria Salerno takes here some scenes from the movie “The Anonymous Venetian”.
The House of the Three EyesAfter an accurate restoration (2000-2012), the House of Three Eyes has become an exhibition space , with particular attention to photography,open to the public. Here will be hosted the major international exhibitions.
On the interior of the House of Three Eyes are still preserved the original furnishings and many photographic materials and art-related events from the former owner,the artist Mario De Maria.





other items:

visit my website

On facebook :


By :


Venetian Doge Marin Faliero

Venetian Doge Marin Faliero


the doge Marin FalieroVenice ,  Cannaregio .

The porch Falier  recalls the figure of the doge Marin Faliero (that at age 60 he became doge of Venice 11 Sept. 1354 ) , and that 17 april was beheaded in 1355 for having conspired against the Republic.

On the main hall of the Palazzo Ducale,in  the Grand Council (Sala del Maggior Consiglio) ,is a frieze with portraits ( imaginary , because those previous to 1577 were destroyed in a fire) ,of the first seventy-six Doges of the Venetian history (the others are in the room of the ballot  “dello Scrutinio” ) .

On each cartouche that each doge keep in his hand are painted the most important events of his “Dogato” . The Doge Marin Faliero , who attempted a coup in 1355 ,is represented by a black cloth with the writing: «Hic est locus Marini Faletri, decapitati pro criminibus» condemned to be beheaded in life .Condemned to ” damnatio memoriae ” , meaning the total cancellation of his name and his image as a traitor to the Republic .
The history of the Republic of Venice reminds us  the facts.

For those times Venice was one day in glory , and the next day was devasted because of the rebellions of the conquered peoples ,and the international politics.

In 1289 the Doge Pietro Gradenigo, instituted a series of new regulations, called «Serrata del Maggior Consiglio». Venice was transformed into an oligarchy, were could only access the members of the leading families of patricians or nobles, like counselor, which lasted throughout his life. The Doge was thus chosen among the very important families of the city. The law guaranteed the political and economic strengthening of the few chosen.and the intention was to avoid the transformation of the Republic into a dictatorship or a principality.

In this context, a young son of a wealthy and powerful family, the Faliero, (His parents  falier porch Venicewere James Faliero and Thomasine Contarini); Marin Faliero,  skilled in politics and “knew how to drive in diplomacy with great capacity”.

Born around 1285, Marin had grown up under the teachings of his uncle, an intriguing and clever businessman, who belonged to one of the most illustrious patrician families of Venice , Faliero was the fact that in Venice was called “member of an ancient House of patricians”,and probably, had come into the lagoon from the town of Fano,from the Province of Pesaro and Urbino , the region of Italy called Marche.
The future doge Marin Faliero began to make part of the the Great Council in 1303 and quickly demonstrate the ability to drive the political machinations ,often using violent solutions.After Avignon was sent in Istria to quell the riots made by King Louis of Hungary, then in Genoa to deal with the Doge Giovanni Valente, then to administer the powerful city of Padua, a fief of the Republic and then at Constantinople, appointed to treat with the Emperor John Palaeologus, from which tore an alliance against Genoa shelling out twenty thousand gold ducats . It was always consumed by the constant intrigue and greed for wealth, “he had no peace either in body or spirit ” though already appeared the problems of the age.

doge's capAppreciated for his political intelligence and experience , on the death of his predecessor,Andrea Dandolo, September 11, 1354 he was elected Doge of Venice. He had turned sixty years old.

Shortly after ,the Doge Marin Faliero found himself the responsibilities of his new role.Between 1350-1355 Venice passed thru a delicate moment. Not only the war with Genoa, but the previous war with the Veronese and the terrible plague had created serious financial difficulties,with a sharp increase in the number of poor people. Pope Innocent VI wanted a meeting peacemaker among nations, the people were suffocated by a thousand fees, the Turks were threatening businesses,the Dalmatian towns were in turmoil. But what worried him most were the persistent palace intrigues, the hatred between the noble families.
Highly ambitious man, probably not quite satisfied with the function of  Doge ,Marin Faliero conspired to ensure the domination of his family who, after him, could continue the supremacy with his grandson Fantino.

Became convinced of the need for such a coup ,even some people said that the final push doge's portraits, palazzo ducaleto take action has been brought about by personal motivations. A Thursday evening on the feast of the ducal palace (1355 fat Thursday), the future Doge Michele Steno would be addressed  offensive remarks to the younger wife of Marin Falier. Sent away from the party he and some young people;  Peter Bollani, Rizzardo Marioni, Moretto Zorzi, Micaletto by Molin and Maffeo Morosini, revenge themselves by writing on walls offends against the doge’s wife  “Dogaressa”  and the nephew of the Doge.
Of these insults, two in particular are remembered by the historics:“Marin Falier, da la bea muger, altri la gode lu la mantien” (Marin Faliero with beautiful wife, others enjoy her and he respect her as wife) and “Beco Marin Falier della bela moger, la mogie del doxe Falier, se fa foter par so piaser” (Horned Marin Faliero .The beautiful wife of the Doge Falier is getting f..ked for her own pleasure).

Steno (the future Doge) was condemned to ten days in jail, Bollani and Marioni a week).

 doge Marin FalieroFor these and other reasons, the Doge convinced the Admiral of the Arsenal,Bertuccio Isarello, owner of many ships, to be the leader of the revolt that was preparing .He secretly organized the heads-company that had to control and guide the popular uprising, the father of the admiral, Filippo Calendario, stonemasons, and owner of barges, and a rich furrier called Vendrame.

The design is simple.To break into the Piazza San Marco ,occupy the Doge’s Palace and kill all the members of the various Councils. Then turn to the houses and eliminate the rest of the noblemen . Carried out the massacre , Marin Falier would be designated as the ” the Lord of Venice.”
But the spies, that weren’t lacking in Venice , informed the government of the Republic ,

( others say that Vendrame , perhaps thinking that the games are made , confides to a friend, Nicholas, nobleman from Lion , to wich anticipates that during the night will be a ” big deal ” , a riot act to overthrow the Republican government . Or that he was betrayed by two conspirators Beltrame Bergamasco – a furrier and Marco Negro who wanted to
avoid outgoing in the day fixed for the uprising. Beltrame was awarded 1000 ducats , but the sum seems him insufficient , and start to complain. He was exiled for ten years, and reached in Hungary, was killed by the conspirators who had escaped from Venice ).
On the evening of April 15, 1355, when the revolt had to start , the Doge was arrested, as well as the conspirators..The next day ,after summary trials they were sentenced to death .Hundreds of rioters. Throughout Venice there wasn’t a sufficient number of Executioner for such a job: it took eight days to make judgments.
Bertuccio and Philip Isarello Calendar are hanged to the red columns of the loggia of the Palazzo Ducale.

palazzo ducale le due collone rosseOn Friday, April 17, was convict the Doge Marin Falier, not present. “He is guilty of high treason and sentenced by a unanimous vote to be beheaded. Considered a traitor to the Republic”.Marin Faliero was beheaded on the first landing of the main staircase of the Palazzo Ducale ( at the other end of the Scala dei Giganti), where the Doges made usually the oath. His body will be exhibited for one day in the hall of the judiciary Piovego (combination of 4 different courts), “laid on a mat and with the head to the toe.”

The corpse will be put first in the church of S. Giovanni e Paolo,  then in a box of stone placed inside the Chapel of Our Lady of Peace “Cappella della Madonna de la Pace “(hereinafter, emptied and removed (1812), and used as a water reservoir in the pharmacy of the Civil Hospital).

By decision of the Council of Ten, the bell used to warn the people ,gathered in the square ,that the judgment against the doge Marin Faliero was performed, never to be played and to be placed, without clapper, in the church of San Marco.
In 1366 the Council of Ten decreed to hide the image of the Doge ,in the hall of the Great Council, with a blue mantle with epitafo “Hic fuit locus ser Marine Faletro beheaded pro proditionis crime ”  “This was the place of Marin Falier beheaded for treason. ” After the fire in 1577 that destroyed the Ducal Palace, between the new painted portraits of the Doges (by Jacopo and Domenico Tintoretto), instead of Marin Falier portrait was placed a black cloth with a written slightly differently: «Hic est locus Marini Faletri, decapitati pro criminibus»  “here is the place of MarinI Faletri beheaded for crime”.

Although the Republic has tried in every way to erase the memory , Marin Faliero has Francesco Hayez  Marin Faliero beheadedbecome without doubt one of the most famous Doges of the world .

The Council of Ten declared public holiday the day of St. Isidore (April 16 ), in which Marin Falier was sentenced to death. All future Doge personally attended every year at the public ceremony in Piazza San Marco, who remembered the tragic event , as they have already celebrated San Vio ( St. Vitus, June 15th) , the day on which the conspiracy Querini – Tiepolo had been annihilated.( ironically Marin Fliero send to death many of the conspirators ) .
Some say that he was cursed : The news of the appointment of the Doge Marin Faliero reached him while he was in Avignon,Ambassador of the Republic from Pope Innocent VI. On October 5, he arrived at Fusina , where he boarded the Bucentaur to arrive at San Marco; But here , as the historical Sanudo told, “was a bad omen ,” the fact that the ship , due to fog , stopped right in the middle of the pier of the square , so that the Doge’s procession had been passed between the two columns of Mark and Todaro,  where they usually carried out death sentences .


other items:

visit my website

On facebook :


By :





Saints John and Paul ,Venice

Venice, St. John and St. Paul

john and paulCampo San Giovanni e Paolo (Saints John and Paul), also called the Campo delle ‘Meravegie ” (wonders ),is an area of the most important monuments of Venice, after only to that of St. Mark.Most important monument, the Basilica of Saints John and Paul ( in Venetian dialect San Zanipolo) is one of the most impressive medieval religious building in Venice. In the “Pantheon of the Doges of Venice,”were buried , since 1300, twenty-five, from one hundred and twenty of the Doges of the Republic, and other important personalities. It is considered “twin” of the church of the Frari ,(size 96 to 40 meters, are almost similar to that of the Frari, built at the same time) with the same triumphant Venetian Gothic style.


saint johnAccording to the hagiographic tradition, the two blood brothers John and Paul, Christians, rich and very charitable people, were very prominent in the Roman era.Their martyrdom, realy took place in Rome, a strange thing because there are very few Christians,martyrs in Rome. The Emperor Julian, also known as “the Apostate”,despite that initially issued an “Edict of Tolerance ” for Christians especially , he decided to restore the pagan worship. (some say he actually tried to enter possession of the property entrusted to them by Constantina, daughter of Constantine the Great.)



According to legend, the origins of the church are connected to a vision of the Doge Jacopo Tiepolo.

“One night the Doge Jacopo Tiepolo saw in a dream the oratory of S. Daniel and the swampy area full of beautiful flowers on which flying white doves with  golden cross on their front. Suddenly two angels descended from heaven with censers exhaling sweet scents .He heard a voice who said: “This is the place i chose for my Preachers.”

capella del rosario 1The next day he got the support from the Senate to give the convent (Oratorio di San Daniele) to the Dominican monks, present in the city since more than ten years, and who still lived under the portico of St. Martin. Immediately (1234) will start construction (which remains only the lower part of the façade), dedicated to the Roman martyrs of the fourth century John and Paul.

The church was solemnly consecrated, almost two centuries after its foundation, November 14, 1430,and was continuously enriched, for almost a century, of sepulchral monuments, paintings, sculptures and works of the greatest Venetian artists.


He tried to persuade them to renounce their Christian faith , thinking that their reputation
will convince many people to follow their example. Both brothers refused the invitation and Julian sent them the captain of the guard Terenziano, with the injunction to worship the idol of Jupiter.Persisting their refusal, they were seized in the house for about ten days, in order to reflect on the consequences of their refusal.

saints  john and paul church -veniceThe exterior is very simple, and curiously without a bell tower, which seems missing since ‘300. The church has a very high tripartite facade, opened by a central rose window and two “eyes”on the sides .The portal, adorned with six columns of marble transported here in 1459.The autors of this work are Bartolomeo Bono and the master Domenico Fiorentino.  On the side of the field there are various buildings and chapels.

The plant is Latin cross with three naves , supported by huge columns , formed by the
union of very thin cylindrical columns.

The statues of the two patrons John and Paul are in the altar.

Arca Jacopo e Lorenzo TiepoloOn the walls of the aisles are adjacent monuments, and on the right are the open chapels. In 1682, to better perform massive official events (for example, the funeral of the Doges) the choir,enclosed in the first four columns of the nave was demolished and partly transported to the presbytery.

After ten days, (June 26 ,362) the captain, returned to their home, and after three hours of unnecessary threats and blandishments, had beheaded and buried them in a pit dug in the same house, spreading the word that they had been exiled.
After their death, the son of Terenziano, fell prey to an obsession and shouting that John and Paul were tormenting him. The father with great concern, led him on the grave of the two martyrs, where the boy got the cure.


At the death of the Doge , the eldest of the adviser responded :09112012501

“With much regret we heard of the death of the Most Serene Prince of so much goodness and piety,but we’ll make another one. ”

Then death was announced to the entire city by the “double ring to nine times” of the bells of the churches .The doge was immediately embalmed and wrapped in the cloak of gold, with the Doge’s horn on his head,golden spurs shod down and the sword with the handle towards the foots.The third day after his death, took place a procession attended by thousands of person.​ Inside the church were finished the funeral prayer ,and everyone turned away in a gondola.

The people did not participate much to the doge’s funeral , perhaps because according to an ancient prophecy , the church would have collapsed “on the day of a solemn function” .

Each monument of this basilica tells a page of Venetian history ,from John Dolfin of the twelfth century , one of the oldest graves of the Basilica ,

to the monument to Victor Pisani , ( with the original statue of the deceased ) that recalls the triumph over Genoa in the decisive Battle of Chioggia ( 1380) ,

Monumento funebre del doge Pietro Mocenigo-Jacopo Tiepolo [Duke of Candia (Crete today) and twice bailo (ambassador) in Constantinople], the  forty Doge of Venice from March 6, 1229 to May 2, 1249 when he abdicated and retired to private life,

-the urn of the Doge Renier Zen (or Reniero Zeno) forty-fifth Doge of Venice from 1253 to 1268,
-the fourteenth-century tomb of Marco Giustiniani of Bragora,

Alvise-Diedo monument, a member of the Council of Ten, who brought back from Constantinople the Venetian fleet locked by Muhammad in the bay (1453)

-the great Doge Leonardo Loredan the seventy-fifth Doge of Venice, (October 2, 1501 -21 June 1521) ready to shield with his body against the mortal danger that Venice had from the League of Cambrai (1508)
– monument to Marcantonio Bragadin , Venetian hero flayed alive by the Turks , containsbragadin
the remained of the skin of the Venetian hero , preserved in an urn , and the bust of the ” greatest hero of the Serenissima” , reminds us of the siege and fall of Famagusta (1571) ;

The great battle of Lepanto, is commemorated in the monument of the official Lordship :
( Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary) , where are the remains of Sebastiano Venier , Admiral, winner of Lepanto , elected doge the age of 81 .It was the eighty-sixth Doge of Venice from 11 June 1577-3 March 1578 .

In the Horse’s Chapel, houses the tombs of the ducal family of Francesco and Sebastiano
Venier and fifteenth-century monument to the Doge Antonio Venier ( October 21, 1382 -23 November 1400 ), the sixty-second Doge of Venice.
– the monuments, of Istrian stone , to the Doge Alvise I Mocenigo, Giovanni Mocenigo ( the seventy-second Doge of Venice) , and Pietro Mocenigo ( the seventieth Doge of Venice) , the sepulchres of the doge Alvise I ,Alvise III Sebastian, Alvise IV Giovanni of the wellknown family Mocenigo,

– tomb of the Doge Andrea Vendramin , ( March 4, 1476 May 5, 1478 ) was the seventy-first Doge of Venice. On the sides niches there are two statues of ” Armed men ” , by Lorenzo Bregno.The two statues came to replace Adam (signed by Tullio ) and Eve ( probably by Francesco Segala ), very rare in the funeral art but unsuitable for their nakedness. The statues removed ended at Palazzo Vendramin Calergi , where they became the property of the Duchess of Berry , Adam was then sold to Collections Dreyfus and Pereire finishing first in Paris and then at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. Eva is still at Ca ‘ Vendramin .

The successor of Julian the Emperor Jovian (363-364), repealed the persecution against the Christians, and commissioned the Bizante senator, and his son Pammachius to search for the bodies of two brothers, Once found, the same senator and Pannachio, his son,erected a basilica above their home in the 398.
Giovanni Battista Piazzetta (1727); The Glory of St Dominic-monument to the Doge Nicolo Marcello, Doge of Venice (August 13, 1473 -1 December 1474) by Pietro and Tullio Lombardo, built between 1481 and 1485.The Doge Nicolo Marcello coined a new currency: the silver sixpence called, not surprisingly, “marcello.” With no direct descendants, he left much of his inheritance to the poors.He died on December 1, 1471, attending the procession to the transfer of the command of the Venetian fleet to Antonio Loredan.

-monument to the Doge Tommaso Mocenigo, Doge of Venice sixty-fourth (January 7, 1414 – April 4, 1423) made in the first half of the fifteenth century, combines Gothic Renaissance elements, in addition to denote a certain influence of Donatello. Here it was used for the first time in the canopy fabric.
– the urn of Doge Giovanni Dolfin , elected doge , after the death of Giovanni Gradenigo , August 13, 1356 – ? 1361.

– monument to the Doge Marco Cornaro or Corner – the fifty-ninth Doge of Venice July 21 1365-13 January 1368 .

– monument to the Doge Pasquale Malipiero , sixty-sixth Doge of Venice from October 30, 1457 -7 May 1462 ,by Peter Lombard ,

The Doge Silvestro Valier . He was the last doge buried in the Basilica around 1700.Andrea Tirali - Tomba dei Valier

They are buried here also Attilio and Emilio Bandiera and Domenico Moro , the protagonists of the Risorgimento.

On the altar of the chapel of Blessed James Salomoni , or the Name of Jesus , is preserved body of Blessed James Salomoni Dominican (Venice , 1231 – Forlì , 1314 ) , invoked to protect tumors .The vault is adorned with paintings of John the Baptist Lorenzetti and Pietro Liberi . Canova considered it ” a real gem of art.”

Even Palma il Giovane erected here a monument for himself, his father Palma Vecchio and Titian.
(martyrs ) bandiera brothers

Under the Basilica of Saints John and Paul Celimontana , hidden among medieval arches and buttresses of the path of the Imperial Forums ,have been found , in 1887, the remains of a Roman villa (two floors) inhabited by Christians , with the small compartment of the ” confession ” that bears frescoes of scenes of martyrdom , witnessed by innumerable quotations in Canons both Roman and Ambrosian , language under which there is a mass grave for the burial of two bodies.

The picture from the  Roman house- Celio, RomeThe back wall of the right transept is dominated by a magnificent Gothic window with stained glass , beautifully lighted , completed by Gian Antonio Licino Lodi. By the end of the fifteenth century the glass factories of Venetian island of Murano , employing techniques to get the glass and raw materials.
To color the glass is added to the crucible of the oxides of manganese for (purple), cobalt (blue), copper ( aquamarine , green and red ) and iron ( yellow, green) . The final color depended on the conditions and the manner in which the merger was conducted .
Below the window you can see two Renaissance altars: one on the right is adorned alms of St. Antonino, altarpiece painted in 1542 by about Lorenzo Lotto, the left by Christ between Sts Peter and Andrew, by Rocco Marconi. At the center, under a canopy, is preserved the chair of the Doge.coloured glass -saint john and paul church-Venice


It is possible that the data , the time and place in which some martyrs died can not be determined with absolute accuracy, but it is certain that the true love of Christ, has helped many Christians to choose a death that will lead to the “eternal life” instead of a life “like a dead.”
Some works that speak of the Italian Renaissance , and the Venetian one in particular can be found : In the chapels of the right side , with gilded wooden ceiling of Tintoretto and Palma il Giovane, with paintings by Titian ” Martyrdom of St. Peter” and ” Madonna and Saints “by Giovanni Bellini, ” the Adoration of the Shepherds “,” Lady of the Assumption and the Annunciation ” by Veronese .In the altar dedicated to St. Vincent, there is a painting by Giovanni Bellini, tempera on panel, dated to 1464-1470 which depicts some miracles of St. Vincent, (dedicated to the Spanish Dominican St Vincent Ferrer, Valencia, January 23, 1350 – Vannes , April 5 1419)
In the chapel of San Domenico, the ceiling fresco by Giovanni Battista Piazzetta . It is the masterpiece of the Venetian rococo at the Basilica of Saints John and Paul.


In the fascinating interior of the basilica are some wonderful paintings of medieval times , including the altarpiece by Lorenzo Lotto , which has influences of Titian,” Jesus Meets Veronica ” by Carlo Caliari , ” St. Michael defeats Lucifer ,” Bonifacio” by Pitati , ” Martyrdom of Santa Cristina ” by Sante Peranda , ” Washing of the Feet and Eucharistic Supper ” by Benedetto Caliari , ” St. Dominic saves the sailors , inviting them to pray the rosary ” by Padovanino , ” Jesus died ” of John the Baptist Zelotti , ” San Francisco, above the door “, Angelo Lion , ” Honorius III ” of Leandro Bassano , in the Chapel of the Rosary, dedicated to the battle of Lepanto in 1571 , are placed works of Paolo Veronese.

In this immense treasure , crucial to Venice you find great monuments of architecture by saint John and Paul church -interiorNino Pisano , Peter and Tullio Lombardo , Alessandro Vittoria , Giuseppe Maria Mazza, Gianmaria Morlaiter, Bonazza John ,and masterpieces of painting Giovanni Bellini , Lorenzo Lotto , Cima da Conegliano , Paolo Veronese ,Giambattista Piazzetta …

(martyrs )

John and Paul were venerated as saints , and their names were included in the Canon of the Mass .The Catholic Church celebrates the liturgical memorial of them on June 26.  Especially in German-speaking countries, but not only, the two saints are considered “Wetterheiligen”, the protectors against storms and, in general, the adverse weather conditions.

In 1806, under the Napoleonic occupation, the Dominicans were removed from their convent, which was turned into a hospital. The church was deprived of numerous works of art. In 1867, a fire completely burns and destroys the Chapel of the Rosary “Madonna and Child with Saints” by Giovanni Bellini (1476) and “The Killing of St. Peter Martyr” by Titian, two works that revolutionized the idea of ” framework for the altar”.
The restoration of this chapel ends in 1959.

Here are the opening hours: daily 7:30 to 12:30 and 15:30 to 19:30
(telephone +39 041 5235913).

The entrance to the Church of San Giovanni e Paolo is free for residents,
the ticket for the tourists is 2.50 €.



other items:

visit my website

On facebook :


By :











Great conspiracy in Venice

Great conspiracy of Tiepolo in Venice and the old woman of the mortar.


conspiracyIn 1310 was born a great conspiracy  against the government of the Republic of Venice, led by the patricians Marco Querini, BajamonteTiepolo and  Badoero Badoer.

One of the underpass ( sotoportego), the bridge near San Marco square,are called Dai.That name comes from the exclamation (Dalli), take them, alluding to the conspiracy
against the republic implemented by the noble Baiamonte Tiepolo .Near the present clock tower,in San Marco square, on the balcony overlooking the Mercerie Meridionali (Southern Tailors ) in Sotoportego Capello nero (“black cap ” from the name of an ancient inn), there is a marble relief that recalls the “old woman with the mortar” . On the floor below there is a stone with the date of the event.
In ‘1310, June, a revolt upsets Venice. Three young nobleman :Baiamonte Tiepolo, Marco  conspiracy San MarcoQuerini and Badoero Badoer turned against the Doge Pietro Gradenigo, and wanted to establish a new oligarchic government favorable to the papacy.
The war of Ferrara , strongly supported by the Venetian aristocrats, made​ the pope lose a city that guaranteed the access to the Po river, as well as the salt marshes of Comacchio.

The Papal aleance (which joined the main Italian states, penetrated Ferrara ,thanks in part to a plague, which reduced the ability of the defense of the city).The Doge Pietro Gradenico is proved adamant in defending the independence of the Republic against the Pope. But this decision poses against a group of old families who considered immoral to rebel against the will of the Pope . The conspiracy led by the three nobles was also unhappy about the fact that the mortaioGrand Council prevented many families , wealthy and ambitious , but lacking the necessary qualifications to participate in government. Meetings held by the conspirators in the Ca’Granda Querini , emerged the need to overthrow the aristocratic government and get rid of the Doge Gradenigo , ” the main culprit ,for the disastrous war with the Papacy , for the excommunication fallen over the city , the  exclusion of many citizens by the government and the arbitrary justice against opponents “.

The action is set for the dawn of Sunday, June 14, 1310. The attack will be given with three troops of armed men.The first two troops , commanded by Marco Querini and Tiepolo Bajamonte , starting from Rialto will attack simultaneously the San Marco Square , the first from the north- west , through the Calle dei Fabbri , the second from the north , across “via delle Mercerie” (the street of the Haberdashers) , surprising the guards of the Palazzo Ducale.
The third troop , commanded by Badoero Badoer , went to pick up people from the areas of Padova, and would return to Venice in boats .
-the date of the cospiracyThe Doge , warned by Marco Dona , (that after joining the conspiracy , change his mind) ,convene the council and the heads of the great families, alarms Arsenale and ordered the mayor of Murano, Burano and Chioggia to intercept the boats of Badoer . The three troops are not synchronized ,the mens of Tiepolo stops to to pillage the Rialto zone, Badoer is blocked into a storm.The troops of Querini taking ” Calle dei Fabbri”, tip on the Square through the ” Bridge of Dai”. He arrived in Piazza San Marco the first, but was defeated by the troops of the Doge, ready to respond to the attack. Marco Querini (the father in law of Tiepolo), and Benedict ( brother in law), son of Marco Querini perished in the crash .

While the Doge’s guards fight against Marco Querini,the troops of Tiepolo is trapped in the narrow space of haberdashery, before reaching the San Marco square.In this place is consumed one of the most amazing events in the history of the Serenissima:


An elderly woman, widow and poor, whose name was Lucia or Giustina Rossi lived in the old woman and the mortararea of Southern Tailors (Mercerie Meridionali), a few meters from the Clock Tower. According to tradition, she was the unwitting savior of the Doge. Worried for the tumult and the shouting, out of the window, the old woman had inadvertently drop a mortar on the head of standard-bearer, the soldier next to Tiepolo, who bore the banner with the inscription “Libertas”, killing him. The fact that at the same time they were attacked by the Duke’s guards, led  them to the idea that the conspiracy was discovered, and caused the general retreat of the rebels.

In gratitude for the old woman who had knocked down the conspiracy of Tiepolo, the Doge himself conceded to the woman and his descendants the right to display on the window the banner of St. Mark’s (Venice’s flag) on the 15th of June and the other solemnity. The woman also asked that the procurators of San Marco, the owners of the house where he lived, and the beneath shop, to maintained the annual rent of the “house from which he had made ​​the gesture that had saved the Serenissima” (15 ducats) forever, to all its descendants.
BajamonteTiepolo“The repression of the conspiracy was immediate. Bajamonte Badoer was tried and beheaded, Tiepolo, and its close allies (who enjoyed the protection of important foreign
personalities, the Pope, and many Venetian families of the Great Council) were exiled for four years in Slavonia
It was decided “the demolition of the house of Tiepolo in the parish of St. Augustine (in its place was installed in 1364, a “column of infamy”. Now in memory of the event remains an engraved stone on the corner of Campo Sant’Agostin, with the following inscription: “LOC. COL. BAI. tHE. MCCCX” Here was located the column of Baiamonte 1310), and the
Ca ‘Granda Querini palace,from which remain only two large arches, which in 1339 were incorporated into the new headquarters of the slaughter of Rialto.
The remaining insurgents captured in Rialto were pardoned on condition that they did an
act of submission to the Doge and to the Republic.rialto macello

To counteract the new aristocratic conspiracies against the order of the Republic, the Grand Council created the Council of Ten  (July 10, 1310), and a citizen militia under the command of Capisestiere, who responded to the call “loose ” of the bells of St. Mark .



other items:

visit my website

On facebook :










Ca Dario palace Venice


Ca Dario palace


Ca Dario palace Ca Dario palace is famous for the supposed curse ,that is still over it. The Ca Dario palace is situated ,in Venice ,in the district of Dorsoduro , overlooks the Grand Canal.
All its owners have ended badly ,for the bankruptcy or violent death.The construction started in 1479 by Giovanni Dario (Ambassador to the Republic of Venice) and had to be dowry for his daughter Marietta, promised in marriage to a wealthy spice merchant, Vincenzo Barbaro, (owner of the homonymous palace in Campo San Vio ). The building was commissioned by the architect Pietro Lombardo.

Ca Dario palace, is built over an ancient Templar cemetery and due to a settling of the foundation is visibly tilted to the right. (The foundation is solid, the walls hold up very well – according to the the expertise of the Municipality). The façade in the Renaissance style, with beautiful circular medallions and marbles that decorate it, and with the sides in Gothic style, very popular in Venice.
At the base of the building is the inscription:
venezia ca dario inscriptionVRBIS GENIUS JOHN DARIUS (John [Giovanni] Dario patron of the city), to the fact that in 1479, managed to negotiate a peace with the Turks.

In 1908 Claude Monet use the building as a subject for a series of impressionist paintings. Ca Dario is often described as a “characteristic Venetian palace “, often compared to the Ca d’Oro. Ca Dario palace caught the attention of John Ruskin who described the decorations in his famous “The Stones of Venice”  .D’Anunzio also describes it : “crooked as a courtesan bent under the pump of his jewelry.”

The tragic fate that has followed most of its owners is attributes to a curse, that is in contradiction with  beauty of the palace. After the death of Darius Giovanni (1494 ) , the palace was inherited by his daughter Marietta and then passes into the possession of the Barbaro family until the early nineteenth century.” Marietta , the daughter of Giovanni Dario committed suicide when her husband Vincenzo Barbaro losing its political influence , died stabbed , in the midst of financial collapse”. Even their son died in Candia (now Iraklion , one of the Venetian possessions in the island of Crete ), in mysterious conditions. These three deaths caused a bad sensation among the Venetians who anagramate the inscription on the façade , transforming it in :SVB RVINA INSIDIOSA GENERO ( create insidious ruin ) .

ca dario palaceThe bad reputation of the building began to take shape in the early nineteenth century, when the descendants of the Barbaro family , Alessandro Barbaro sold it to Arbit Abdoll , an Armenian merchant of precious stones, which shortly after taking possession of the dwelling did bankrupt. In 1838 , Abdoll , was forced to sell Ca Dario palace for 480 pounds to Rawdon Brown , who, sold it four years later, because had no  money to renovate it. After a long period of time Radon Brown, the British scientist who became owner of the building in 1832 died mysteriously , apparently by suicide,together with his roommate.
After the war, Ca Dario was bought by Charles Briggs, an American millionaire, who, was forced “to flee” from Venice because of the continuous rumors about his homosexuality. Taking refuge in Mexico,  his lover committed suicide.

Remained without an owner,for a long time, in 1964 one of the possible buyers was the tenor Mario Del Monaco, but the negotiations broke down when, on his way to Venice to finalize the details of the contract, was the victim of a serious car accident that forced him to a long rehabilitation.

A few years later ,Ca Dario palace was bought by Count Lanze Philip Giordano, who was killed inside , in 1970, by a Yugoslav sailor named Raul Blasich (18 years),with whom he was in an intimate affair. After the murder Blasich, fled to London, where was assassinated.
Ca Dario palace was then purchased by Christopher ” Kit” Lambert , manager of the rock band “The Who” , but his drug dependency worsened and he breaks his relationship with the band , causing its financial meltdown . In 1978 , three years before his death ( falling down the stairs , it was hypothesized suicide ) Kit Lambert sold the palace to a Venetian businessman , Fabrizio Ferrari, who moved there with her sister Nicole, which died in a freak car accident with no witnesses. Fabrizio Ferrari , after a short time , was involved in a financial crash and was arrested on charges of beating a photomodel.
At the end of the eighties , the building was purchased by financier Raul Gardini , who wanted to make a gift to his daughter . After a series of economic downturns and involvement in the “Tangentopoli” scandal,he committed suicide in 1993 in circumstances that were never fully clarified .

The explanation of the deaths , according to some theories , is that Ca Dario palace rise over an alleged negative node of energy that flows through the city . Others hypothesis is that Ca Dario palace is influenced by the talisman designed to ward off negativity placed on the door of the near palace .
But it’s not always necessary to give credence to the legends . In the nearly five centuries of owners , some just have a bad end , among which only one was killed inside the palace . All the others lived their lives in peace. The term ” curse” began to appear only since the nineties , after the suicide of Gardini. Before that the Ca Dario palace was the seat of prestigious events , precisely due to its rich history , which makes us think that there is
nothing evil between those walls .
It is said many things abuot it, for example Ca Dario palace is still inhabited by the ghosts of previous owners.The Venetians believe it . Many of them keep away from the building.

You can found the documented history of the Ca Dario palace at :

After the death of Ca Dario Gardini , do not stir up any interest in the market . At the end of the nineties the director and actor Woody Allen seemed willing to purchase the building, but desisted . On 2006, the Ferruzzi group concludes the preliminary round with a wealthy American entrepreneur , who has won Ca ‘ Dario palace, 800 square meters overlooking the Grand Canal , for only € 8 million . There are more than 15 years that is expected these  news.

Ca Dario Residence (not the palace)residenza ca dario venezia

has been recently renovated and from private home was transformed into a cozy guest house that offers its guests comfortable rooms, all soberly arredate. The residence is housed in a former convent and has a private courtyard .Situated about a 15 minute walk from the Saint Lucia train station , Ca Dario Residence offers a range of accommodation in the historic districts of Santa Croce and Cannaregio. The rooms are equipped with free Wi-Fi .It is also located close to the Jewish Ghetto, (850 meters from the residence Ca Dario.)  All apartments have air conditioning, kitchenette and satellite TV.

other items:

visit my website

On facebook :










The Casino of Venice

The Casino of Venice
casinoThe origin of the word  Casino (small house) provides a clear description of these places: small but cozy and intimate places, where you could meet friends. The first gambling house (the Foyer of St. Moses) was born in Venice in 1638.
In 1946 the municipality of Venice buys Ca ‘ Vendramin Calergi palace, and opens on the second floor of the building, the headquarters of the Venice Casino.

In the 1930, is made ​up  the Lido of Venice’s Casino.

On 1999 was inaugurated at Ca ‘Noghera near the airport ,a new casino, the first American casino opened in Italy.

The Casino of Venice is immediately established itself as the center of entertainment for international notoriety. The heart of the Venice,  beat on the Grand Canal at Ca ‘Vendramin Calergi, site of the classic games casino.

casino veneziaAround 1481, the family Loredan (Andrea Loredan, powerful exponent of the Venetian nobility, a family from were came three Venetian Doges ) built the future casino. The decorations of the interior walls were made from the “most brilliant among the builders of the Renaissance” Mauro Codussi. The walls,  are covered with stucco  (  actually once were decorated with frescoes which were the allegorical figures, painted by Giorgione,the famous painter). But ,in 1581, the Loredan family, in financial difficulties,were forced to sell the building, and after several passages of property, passed to Calergi. In 1739, the Vendramin family, linked by kinship with the Calergi family   became the new owners of the building , and so ,the palace took the name of these two families linked by kinship Vendramin Calergi.

With an renaissance Venetian style , residence of the Doges ( Loredan family ) , residence of  casino carlenghi Richard Wagner , is one of the most elegant buildings overlooking the Grand Canal. Ca’Vendramin Calergi  palace has a ground floor , with access to water from the Grand Canal , the main floor , featuring a large central hall and three smaller rooms decorated in the renaissance style. The interiors of the palace are impetuous . From the ceiling frescoes in chiaroscuro (light and shade),with allegories (The Bridal Allegory , painted by Gian Battista Crosato , Venetian painter 1700), leather upholstery golden or crimson damask, faux finishing or white and gray coating, the beautiful paintings ( by Nicolò Bambini , a Venetian painter of the late seventeenth century ) , has all the charm of the Renaissance style . The floors in Venetian style, very hard to find other,” self sustained wooden planks”, like “upturned keels of the boats ” that , by virtue of their particular architecture ,oscillate when walked on.

 casino backyard garden Near the seventeenth-century wing (called White Wing ) ,to the right side of the building, is a decent garden , also accessible from the canal through a gate whose pillars are topped by two large statues. On the back of the building is a small courtyard , enclosed on one side by a wall, from which , in addition to an elegant entrance is a plaque that commemorates the death of Wagner who :” took place within the walls of the palace .”

Like almost all the palaces of Venice even this has its own deadly story , a terrible crime .

One night in 1658 the three Grimani brothers (sons of Vettor Calergi’s sister , who had married a Grimani ) ,kidnapped Francesco Querini Stampalia , their arch enemy and brought him into the palace . After a series of tortures the prisoner was killed , but the government of Venice discovered the crime, and the three Grimani were banished forever from the territories of the Republic. The rooms of the building where  Querini had been murdered was demolished and in its place was built a column of infamy to commemorate the event .But the three brothers Grimani managed to return to Venice in 1660, paying a  bribe to the Republic ( 7350 ducats to support the war against the Turks ) , rebuilt the rooms destroyed and “all was forgotten”.
casino lidoUntil a short time ago, the beautiful palace Ca’Vendramin Calergi was the winter Venice Casino , but the municipality were allowed to have even a summer casino on the Lido island. The idea of ​the construction of the Casino Lido in Venice was founded in 1936. At Lido was chosen an area close to the beautiful Hotel Excelsior on a former Austrian fort which allowed the use of the  foundations and much of the demolished masonry for the building of the new casino . The Lido Casino  were built in just eight months , inaugurated on  June 30, 1938 and was the last of the great Venetian inauguration of the Fascist era.

casino lidoThe interiors of the palace were decorated with most beautiful light marbles, mirrors, glass and majestic chandeliers . The Casino has a ballroom , a mechanical stage , which ” … installed in the center of the room … was a particular technical innovation by being the first in this genre built in Italy.” This rich Palace functioned as Casino only fifty years after being equipped with heating, air conditioning and security , at the end of the nineties was closed ,for the building of the new Casino of Ca ‘ Noghera .

Currently it is re-opened only at the Venice International Film Festival and licensed for use, for those days , by the Cultural Society ” La Biennale di Venezia .”
Casino of Lido became known in 1984 with the famous robbery made by Felice Maniero , who ensure “the protection racket” of the Casino. When he was no longer being paid , he decided to rob it .

“Felice Maniero, boss of the “Mala del Brenta ” gang – robbery of billions against the Casino of Venice – (il Gazzettino ,the local newsparer)

It was a night in April 1984 , the roulette had closed from  half an hour .
The attak was safe , with the ” sure informations ”  from a croupier bought by Mario Artuso , the cashier of Mala . It was 2:43 a.m. when the commando enters on the ” stage” . The group is made ​​up of seven people. That night wore also ski masks, guns in big quantity and the inevitable M16 gun. They come with a motor boat that is moored at a wharf near the Casino .They climbed over the wall that divides the Palazzo del Cinema (the place of the festival of the movie ), from the garden of the Casino ,and come screaming and showing their arms. The message is clear : this is a robbery and nobody joking . Five of the thugs go up to the third floor while two remain to wach the place. An office boy, a policeman and two controllers the are threatened to lie down on the floor room . On the third floor , in a room were some lingered players of the ” chemin de fer ” .Some rubbers , pushing them , throw them to the ground while others are already going to the chambers of safes . Will “clear” everything and in a few minutes, the bandits left the building with two and a half billion of italian  lire  in cash. ( 1 euro = 1,936 italian lire ).

ca noghera casinoIn 1999 , close to the airport Marco Polo was born Ca ‘ Noghera , the first American-style casino in Italy . A dining tables 1000 square meters offers the best of American games (Fair Roulette, Black Jack and Poker ) . Now also offering important Punto Banco and a touch of the French game with the arrival of the Chemin de Fer and French Roulette . In addition, a poker room dedicated to the ” Texas hold ‘ em” in the form of tournament poker .

The traditional games ( or European ) in use in Italian casinos are: Trente et quarante ,French Roulette , Chemin de fer, Boule , Baccarat . In the year 1980 were introduced American games : American Roulette , Poker and Slots .
Entering the Club is easy: just make a request on the first visit to one of the two seats of the Casino Venezia.The cards and related benefits are issued immediately , free of charge and simple request.

Bad news comes from the municipality that wants to sell the Venice Casino .

” Casino di Venezia , we start with privatization.
Although they get on the casino double or triple its market value , there is nothing that undersell the history, culture and traditions of a territory, of a piece of Italy.One solution would be to put the gambling house on the internet with a broader international system , to beat the competition and maintain the attractiveness resource for tourism , an important city’s economy ” . The motivation …. the casino cost too much to the municipality has not  the alleged receipts.


casinoWARNING: The pathological gambling is a behavioral disorder that includes “azzardonella” a diagnostic category of obsessive-compulsive symptoms consisting of obsessive thoughts associated with particular actions or rituals to be performed, which attempt to neutralize the obsessions. The pathological player shows an increasing dependence on gambling, increasing the frequency of play, the time spent to play, the amount spent in an attempt to recoup the losses by investing more of its economic possibilities and neglecting the normal tasks of life to engage in play.



other items:

visit my website

On facebook :








The courtesan Veronica Franco

The courtesan Veronica Franco

tiziano-venezia-cortigiana-766x297The courtesan Veronica Franco the only daughter of Paola and Francesco Franco was born in Venice in 1546. The daughter of a “honest” courtesan Veronica Franco was started in this art from her mother at a young age and, as she had learned to use her natural talents, she managed to contract a financially favorable marriage .He had three brothers: Jerome, who died during the plague on 1575, Horace and Seraphim, “which is in the hands of the Turks” as she wrote in her testament.  She got married very young with a rich doctor, but the marriage ended badly (in 1582 he was already dead).

veronica franco

veronica franco

Being a courtesan allowed her to study, to have the freedom and independence while
the noble women could neither study nor take decisions outside of the run of the housework.She could read, be interested in art, poetry, inviting the great intellectuals of that time in her living room . Between all these friendships met Tintoretto who dedicated her a beautiful portrait.The courtesan Veronica Franco, was an complete intellectual : writer, musician, curator of collections of poetry, essayist,and that wasn’t an isolated case. This kind of ” intellectual” prostitute had a selected customer. Among her protectors was Marcantonio della Torre, in charge of Verona, Lodovico Ramberti,from an ancient and illustrious family, Guido Antonio Pizzamano, employed by the judiciary in the “avogadori” ,the public tax.

For all these quality she became a high-ranking courtesan . Was included in the “Catalogue of most honorate courtesans of Venetia ” (published around 1565 ) , which provided the list name, address and the rates of courtesans of the city , according to which a ” kiss of these courtesan cost five or six shields . ” Thanks to her friendship with the wealthy and prominent members of the time,soon became very well known .

In 1574 her reputation as a high-ranking courtesan reached its peak when Henry III of Valois , making a stop in Venice on July 18 to 28 ( Serenissima welcomed him with 11 days of celebrations , organized by artists such as Andrea Palladio , Andrea Gabrieli, Paolo Veronese and Tintoretto ) , during the journey that brought him back from Poland to France, “chose, to spend a night with Veronica “. In memory of the encounter with the illustrious guest ,Veronica gave him, her portrait (maybe a little colored enamel ) with a letter accompanied by two sonnets :” Come talor dal ciel sotto umil tetto” e “Prendi, re per virtù sommo e perfetto”.” Sometimes from heaven under the humbly roof ” and “Take ,a king for supreme and perfect virtues” .

veronica franco

veronica franco

At the beginning of 1570 , became part of one of the most famous literary circles of the city, participating in discussions , making donations and taking care of anthologies of poetry. Related with the intellectual Venetian aristocracy she made ​​friends the famous artists and writers . Assiduously attended the famous literary circle ” Ca ‘ Venier ” that revolved around Domenico Venier , ingenious poet , entertainer and patron of the association , as well as her trusted advisor, and perhaps reviewer of her writings.
Of that academy of virtuous as she calls herself in a letter, were : Gradenigo G. , C. Magno , G. Molin , J. Zane ,as well as Venier : Dominic, his brother Lorenzo , Marco ( often appearing as a correspondent of her ” Loving rhymes”)In 1575 , during the epidemic of plague that devastated the city ,the courtesan Veronica Franco was forced to leave Venice and ,after the sacking of his house and its possessions , lost much of her riches. She appeal the ecclesiastical authority to obtain an an order for delivery by the patriarch .In October 1575 appear before the tribunal of the Holy Office “Veronica Franco public courtesan” , accused of immorality and suspected of witchcraft ( a common accusation to the courtesans ) following the acusations of ,Vannitelli Ridolfo , who testified to having seen her” resorting to witchcraft and demonic invocations to find the goods that had been stolen “. In particular, a practice very much in vogue at the time, called ” inghistara “, done with a jug full of holy water.

The court absolved her, perhaps, by the intervention of Venetian politicians .


At the age 34 seems that she decided to leave the profession of courtesan and to devote herself to charitable works ,as is shown by her Memorial . Veronica Franco wrote two volumes of poetry : “Third rhymes” in 1575 and “Letters to various family members” in 1580. She also published collections of letters , gathered in an anthology of the works of famous writers  After the success of these works , she founded a charity for courtesans and their children .



After 1580 is little known about her life, however, the extant documents bear the fact that, even if she obtained the freedom,she lost all the wealth and material goods.
Her death follows from the magistrate’s Obituaries for Health “1591 July 22. Ms. Veronica Franca 45 years with fever already 20 days . S. Moses church. ”


In 1509, Venice, according to the chronicler of the “diaries of Marin Sanudo”, there were 11,654 prostitutes and a population of about 150 thousand people. About 10% of the population. Even in Rome, the city of the Popes, were approximately 10%, 6,800 in 1490 and 4,900 in 1526. The prostitutes were not only numerous, they were also very visible.


other items:

visit my website: